What We Believe
Everything that we teach is Christ centered.
We teach exactly what the Bible teaches; we don’t teach our interpretation but God’s interpretation. We believe that the Bible is the perfect words of God that He had written down for our benefit.
We believe that Jesus died for the sins of the whole world. He shed his blood on the cross to forgive each and every person. God loved us so much that he sent his Son to save us because we could not save ourselves.
We also believe as the Bible teaches, that only believers in Jesus will go to heaven. We will go to heaven because Jesus rose from the dead to prepare heaven for us.
We are Lutheran and therefore teach what the bible teaches. Martin Luther revived this true teaching which had been lost. God’s Word teaches that we are saved by grace alone through faith alone and we find Jesus in the scriptures alone.
We believe that God has given us many gifts and talents to use in helping others. He has given to us many opportunities to share our faith. We pray that we will see more of you as we search for lost souls.
Coming for the first time?
Here are some answers to common questions about worshiping at Divinity.
- Where should I sit?
- Feel free to sit wherever you like. If you need any assistance our ushers would be happy to assist you.
- What should I wear?
- You will see everything from jeans and t-shirts to suits. The average is somewhere in between. Come in what makes you feel comfortable in that setting!
- What about my children?
- We welcome your children to join us in worship! They need Christ too. Children’s totes are available in the gathering space with all sorts of goodies for your child. Our Quiet Corner is a room you may use if you would like to take your children out for a bit. It is close to a bathroom with a changing station.
- What about the offering?
- Our members at Divinity have joined together to do the Lord’s work here in St. Paul and worldwide. Our guests should not feel obligated to participate in this offering that supports our ministry.
- What about worship?
- Our entire order of service is printed for you in a bulletin and clearly marked so you can follow along. Feel free to participate as you are comfortable. Don’t worry – we won’t ask you to stand up and introduce yourself to the congregation, or anything like that.
How to Contact Us
Pastor John C. Berg loves serving the people of Divinity Lutheran Church and its community. He and his wife grew up in Winona, MN. He graduated from Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary in 2007. He has served congregations in Viroqua, WI and Lake City MN. He enjoys fly fishing, reading and spending time with his wife and three children. Please let him know how he can you serve you with the good news about Jesus!
Contact Pastor Berg:
We have been serving the East side of St. Paul since 1954. We've written down more details of our history here.